Glenbard Township High School District 87
Board of Education
Administrative Procedure â€“ Prohibited Political Activities
1. Employees shall not intentionally perform any prohibited political activity during any compensated time (other than vacation, personal, or compensatory time off). Employees shall not intentionally misappropriate any District property or resources by engaging in any prohibited political activity for the benefit of any campaign for elective office or any political organization.
2. At no time shall any member or employee intentionally misappropriate the services of any employee by requiring that employee to perform any prohibited political activity (i) as part of that employee's duties, (ii) as a condition of employment, or (iii) during any time off that is compensated by the Board (such as vacation, personal, or compensatory time off).
3. An employee shall not be required at any time to participate in any prohibited political activity in consideration for that employee being awarded any additional compensation or employee benefit, in the form of a salary adjustment, bonus, compensatory time off, continued employment, or otherwise.
4. An employee shall not be awarded any additional compensation or employee benefit, in the form of a salary adjustment, bonus, compensatory time off, continued employment, or otherwise, in consideration for the employee's participation in any prohibited political activity.
5. Nothing in this section prohibits activities that are otherwise appropriate for an employee to engage in as a part of his or her official employment duties or activities that are undertaken by an employee on a voluntary basis as permitted by law.
6. No person in a position that is subject to recognized merit principles of public employment shall be denied or deprived of Board employment or tenure solely because he or she is a member or an officer of a political committee, of a political party, or of a political organization or club.
For purposes of these Procedures:
1. â€śAppointeeâ€ť means a person appointed to a position in or with the Board, regardless of whether the position is compensated.
2. â€śAdministrative actionâ€ť means the execution or rejection of any rule, regulation, legislative rule, standard, fee, rate, contractual arrangement, purchasing agreement or other delegated legislative or quasi-legislative action to be taken or withheld by any executive agency, department, board or commission of the State.
3. â€śBoardâ€ť means the duly elected and constituted Board of Education of Glenbard Township High School District #87 and any committees thereof.
4. â€śCampaign for elective officeâ€ť means any activity in furtherance of an effort to influence the selection, nomination, election, or appointment of any individual to any federal, State, or local public office or office in a political organization, or the selection, nomination, or election of Presidential or Vice-Presidential electors, but does not include activities (i) relating to the support or opposition of any executive, legislative, or administrative action (as defined herein), (ii) relating to collective bargaining (as defined herein), or (iii) that are otherwise in furtherance of the person's official duties.
5. â€śCandidateâ€ť means a person who has filed nominating papers or petitions for nomination or election to an elected office, or who has been appointed to fill a vacancy in nomination, and who remains eligible for placement on the ballot at either a general primary election or general election.
6. â€śCollective bargainingâ€ť means bargaining over terms and conditions of employment, including hours, wages, and other conditions of employment, as detailed in the Illinois Educational Labor Relations Act .
7. â€śCompensated timeâ€ť means any time worked by or credited to an employee that counts toward any minimum work time requirement imposed as a condition of employment with the Board, but does not include any designated holidays or any period when the employee is on a leave of absence.
8. â€śCompensatory time offâ€ť means authorized time off earned by or awarded to an employee to compensate in whole or in part for time worked in excess of the minimum work time required of that employee as a condition of employment with the Board.
A gift, subscription, donation, dues, loan, advance, or deposit of money or anything of value, knowingly received in connection with the nomination for election or election of any person to public office or in connection with any question of public policy;
The purchase of tickets for fund-raising events, including but not limited to dinners, luncheons, cocktail parties, and rallies made in connection with the nomination for election or election of any person to public office or in connection with any question of public policy;
A transfer of funds between political committees; and
The services of an employee donated by an employer, in which case the contribution shall be listed in the name of the employer, except that any individual services provided voluntarily and without promise or expectation of compensation from any source shall not be deemed a contribution.
b. Does not include:
The use of real or personal property and the cost of invitations, food, and beverages, voluntarily provided by an individual in rendering voluntary personal services on the individual's residential premises for candidate-related activities; provided the value of the service provided does not exceed an aggregate of $150 in a reporting period; or
The sale of any food or beverage by a vendor for use in a candidate's campaign at a charge less than the normal comparable charge, if such charge for use in a candidate's campaign is at least equal to the cost of such food or beverage to the vendor.
10. â€śEmployeeâ€ť means (i) any person employed full-time, part-time, or pursuant to a contract and whose employment duties are subject to the direction and control of an employer with regard to the material details of how the work is to be performed, including, but not limited to, the superintendent, assistant superintendents, directors, supervisors, principals and certified staff, or (ii) any appointee.
11. â€śExecutive actionâ€ť means the proposal, drafting, development, consideration, amendment, adoption, approval, promulgation, issuance, modification, rejection or postponement by a State entity of a rule, regulation, order, decision, determination, contractual arrangement, purchasing agreement or other quasi-legislative or quasi-judicial action or proceeding.
12. â€śLeave of absenceâ€ť means any period during which an employee does not receive (i) compensation for Board employment, (ii) service credit towards pension benefits, and (iii) health insurance benefits paid for by the Board.
13. â€śLegislative actionâ€ť means the development, drafting, introduction, consideration, modification, adoption, rejection, review, enactment, or passage or defeat of any bill, amendment, resolution, report, nomination, administrative rule or other matter by either house of the General Assembly or a committee thereof, or by a legislator. Legislative action also means the action of the Governor in approving or vetoing any bill or portion thereof, and the action of the Governor or any agency in the development of a proposal for introduction in the legislature.
14. â€śMemberâ€ť means an elected or appointed member of the Board of Education of Glenbard Township High School District #87.
15. â€śPoliticalâ€ť means any activity in support of or in connection with any campaign for elective office or any political organization, but does not include activities (i) relating to the support or opposition of any executive, legislative, or administrative action (as defined herein), (ii) relating to collective bargaining (as defined herein), or (iii) that are otherwise in furtherance of the person's official duties.
16. â€śPolitical organizationâ€ť means a party, committee, association, fund, or other organization (whether or not incorporated) that is required to file a statement of organization with the State Board of Elections or a county clerk under Section 9-3 of the Election Code, but only with regard to those activities that require filing with the State Board of Elections or a county clerk.
17. â€śProhibited political activityâ€ť means:
a. Preparing for, organizing, or participating in any political meeting, political rally, political demonstration, or other political event.
b. Soliciting contributions, including but not limited to the purchase of, selling, distributing, or receiving payment for tickets for any political fundraiser, political meeting, or other political event.
c. Soliciting, planning the solicitation of, or preparing any document or report regarding any thing of value intended as a campaign contribution.
d. Planning, conducting, or participating in a public opinion poll in connection with a campaign for elective office or on behalf of a political organization for political purposes or for or against any referendum question.
e. Surveying or gathering information from potential or actual voters in an election to determine probable vote outcome in connection with a campaign for elective office or on behalf of a political organization for political purposes or for or against any referendum question.
f. Assisting at the polls on Election Day on behalf of any political organization or candidate for elective office or for or against any referendum question.
g. Soliciting votes on behalf of a candidate for elective office or a political organization or for or against any referendum question or helping in an effort to get voters to the polls.
h. Initiating for circulation, preparing, circulating, reviewing, or filing any petition on behalf of a candidate for elective office or for or against any referendum question.
i. Making contributions on behalf of any candidate for elective office in that capacity or in connection with a campaign for elective office.
j. Preparing or reviewing responses to candidate questionnaires in connection with a campaign for elective office or on behalf of a political organization for political purposes.
k. Distributing, preparing for distribution, or mailing campaign literature, campaign signs, or other campaign material on behalf of any candidate for elective office or for or against any referendum question.
l. Campaigning for any elective office or for or against any referendum question.
m. Managing or working on a campaign for elective office or for or against any referendum question.
n. Serving as a delegate, alternate, or proxy to a political party convention.
o. Participating in any recount or challenge to the outcome of any election.
18. â€śSuperintendentâ€ť means the duly appointed and acting superintendent or interim superintendent of the District.
Persons wishing to file Complaints for violations of these Regulations shall use the procedures enumerated in Administrative Regulations 2:105-R1 Regarding the Solicitation and Acceptance of Gifts. The Board shall follow the process enumerated in Administrative Regulations 2:105-R1 for the investigation and resolution of such complaints.
ADOPTED: May 24, 2004
REVIEWED: November 21, 2005